Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Sermon 8-2-15

7 Steps to Peter's Fall




We are continuing our look at Walking with God by Faith
We have shared some key words along the way
·       Long Term walk – Obedience
·       After a fall -  Forgiveness

I want to first walk you through the 7 steps of Peter’s Fall
Then I will share with you the key word antidote to avoiding a Fall in your walk with God.

Peter was a strong willed person.

  • He was rambunctious
  • Boisterous
  • Opinionated
  • Sure of himself
    • I’ll never deny you – even if the others do
  •  Impulsive
    •  Cut off the guys ear

He was human – He made a lot of mistakes

But it wasn’t one step that led him to denying Christ.
There were missteps along the way
Let’s look at them and learn from them

 I.  Conceit
Matthew 26:31-33
·       Proverbs 16:18 (NLT) Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.
·       1 Corinthians 10:12 (NLT) If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall.

II.  Ease -  Asleep – Not watching – Complacent
Matthew 26:39-40
·       1 Peter 5:8 (NLT) 8  Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.

III.  impulsive
John 18:9-10

IV.  Drifting Away
Matthew 26:58

V.  bad Company
John 18:18
1 Corinthians 15:33 (NLT) 33  Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for “bad company corrupts good character.”

VI.  Open Denial
John 18:25

VII.  Blasphemy
Mark 14:71-72 (NLT) 71  Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know this man you’re talking about!”
72  And immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he broke down and wept.

How do I stay humble?
I.   His Cross
  • We deserved the Cross, not the benefits of the Cross
  •  He didn’t deserve the Cross but willing took my place
  •  Everyone has to come to the cross
  • Whether Nicodemous – Best humanity had to offer
  • Or the Samaritan at the well married multiple times living with a man who wasn’t her husband
  • Whether you come from the Sanctuary or the Street we all have to come to the Christ of the Cross for forgiveness
  •  I’m not better than anyone else 
II.   His Mercy
Psalm 103:9-12 (NIV) 9  He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10  he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.
11  For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;
12  as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. 


 III.   His Grace
  • I didn’t save myself
  • I couldn’t save myself
  • I don’t deserve the blessings God has given me


Sinner Saved By Grace
If you could see what I once was
If you could go with me
Back to where I started from

 Then I know you would see
A miracle of love that took me
In it's sweet embrace
And made me what I am today
Just an old sinner... saved by grace

I'm just a sinner saved by grace
When I stood condemned to death
He took my place
Now I live and breathe in freedom
With each breath of life I take

Loved and forgiven, backed with a living
I'm just a sinner saved by grace
How could I boast on anything
I've ever seen or done?
How could I dare to claim as mine

The victories God has won?
Where would I be
Had God not brought me
Gently to this place?

I'm here to say I'm nothing
But a sinner saved by grace
I'm just a sinner saved by grace
When I stood condemned to death
He took my place
Now I grow and breathe in freedom

With each breath of life I take
I'm loved and forgiven backed with a living

I'm just a sinner saved by grace
Now I grow and breathe in freedom
With each breath of life I take
I'm loved and forgiven backed with a living
I'm just a sinner saved by grace
Saved by grace


  Gloria Gaither Mitch Humphries William J. Gaither  William J. Gaither, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment